Tuesday 27 March 2012

Elimination Communication (EC) update

My son is now 17 weeks and it is a week since I starting putting him on the potty.  I should clarify that EC isn't about potty training, but more communicating with your child and allowing them to go outside of their nappy. 

Although I do have a book about it I haven't read it cover to cover therefore my technique probably needs perfecting.  For now I am following the lead from my son and taking the time to 'study' him and his habits.

He has peed in his potty twice now and I get so excited.  He really must think I am a mad woman, but it really makes my day. 

As mentioned in my first post I am putting him on the potty soon after he is breast fed, as he usually goes within 15 minutes of being fed.  I then give him a sign of what to do (make the relevant noises or to use the technical term cue).  He still looks happy to be sitting on the potty most of the tome; he has got a bit irritated, on two occasions and I have taken him off.  I don't want to annoy him or make it seem like hard work.

We reached a milestone this week.  After his morning bath and feed he fell asleep, I really wanted to give him some 'nappy-free time' so I let him sleep wrapped in a towel.  I put the potty in the room as I knew he would want to go when he woke up and went into the shower.  When I got out I was pleasantly surprised to see Daddy pottying the baby.  I encouraged him to make the sounds (which he did so reluctantly) and within 3 minutes Baby gave Daddy his first number two.

I was so happy I captured the event with a pic.

I put my son on the potty today before his bath and he did a pee.  Babies are really intelligent, I'm sure he gets it. 

I will continue to provide updates on our progress with elimination communication and I am working on the Q&A.

1 comment:

  1. I think that really "studying" your child is the key. Babies are all unique and each has his or her own body rhythms and patterns that you can only really be in tune with if you spend the initial time of observing and learning your baby's signals. I've authored a book on EC called EC Simplified and this is the first step I recommend. Kudos to you and I wish you an EC journey that's filled with fun and an experience that brings you and your son (and Daddy) closer!

    ReplyDelete